
(Okinawa is the TINY island next to the eye of the storm.)
*I wrote this last night right before our power went out, so it never got a chance to publish.*
Typhoon Songda has arrived and she is a feisty one! Her strength has downgraded from a category 5 typhoon to a category 2, but that hasn't stopped her from wrecking shop on this island! The storm started to get pretty bad around 8pm and it is now 10pm. The photo above is from about 5 minutes ago. The "eye" of the storm hasn't even reached Okinawa yet! I seem to be the only one in the house that is excited and terrified of this storm. Liam has been sound asleep in his crib for about 2 hours now, and Kyle is playing xbox...I have spent the last 45 minutes standing in my doorway like an idiot taking all sorts of videos.
This is our first official typhoon since we have lived here. We have had 4 or 5 hit the island, but none close enough for us to really feel them. We live on the 4th floor of our building, and the walls are shaking so bad it feels like an earthquake. Our windows are screaming, and the doors are rattling! I have never ever been through a storm like this in my life, it's so intense! I would be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit freaked out...
I decided to open the door to feel the wind, and I got a face full of leaves and dirt! There is so much crap flying through the air. The power is flickering and all the street lights went out. The base is pitch black! Of course, with every storm comes crazy idiots. I saw a couple walking down the street holding hands. I heard there were teenagers skateboarding down the streets. My neighbors on the 5th floor were holding onto their balcony railing and pretending they were in Titanic. Locals don't give a dang about typhoons, they are out walking their dogs in it like it's no big deal! While all of these things DO sound fun, it's just not smart people!
For my entertainment, I blew up a balloon and watched it get ripped out of my hand and carried away in the wind. I would like to tie a rope to a bucket and fly a bucket kite, but I will have to save that for another day.
Anyway, sitting next to the screaming and rattling sliding glass door is starting to freak me out a little, so I am going to move to the couch and wait for the power to go out. I will update you all tomorrow on the damage! The wind is suppose to be nuts like this for another 5 hours!!

No comments:
Post a Comment