Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 3 of Typhoon Muifa

*Here she is, all over Okinawa like a fat kid on cake.*

We are sitting at day 3 of this nasty hurricane. Last night was the worst of the whole thing! It's true what they say, the back side of the hurricane packs way more power than the front of it does. As soon as the eye passed over us, it was chaotic! The eye hit Okinawa around 3pm. I thought the storm was over because the winds turned to a breeze, and there were birds chirping and it got brighter outside. Liam went down for a nap so we decided to have family nap time and we all slept for about an hour. As soon as we woke up, it all turned nasty.

I read a weather report that we got almost four feet of rain! Four feet! It is still pouring rain outside. I heard some people off base have severe flooding in their homes, some people's roofs are caving in, some even lost the roof to their homes! We were lucky enough to not have lost water or power. The strongest gust of wind that was recorded, I believe, was 130+ mph. The sustained winds were around 95mph.

The local news says that 47 people have been injured, and 70,000 people are without power.

We have been on lock down for 40+ hours now. We have not been allowed to step outside and it is starting to take its toll on us. We are getting impatient and irritable, but this hurricane is showing no end in sight. We are still in Typhoon condition 1-Emergency which means the winds are still up to 57ish mph or more.

Last night the worst of the storm hit around 10pm. We finally got our butts to bed around midnight after watching, " Arthur." The slider in our room sounded like an severely obese man was throwing himself up against it over and over again. It was pounding, and rattling and whistling ALL NIGHT LONG! I believe I was woken up every 20 minutes throughout the night. At one point, it took every bit of strength in me to get the slider door to open because of the air pressure in the house. Once I did, it felt like I was going to be sucked out and thrown over to China. It was terrifying. Liam slept through the entire thing!

I felt bad leaving him in his room since it was so creepy and loud outside. I went in to get him form his crib so he could sleep with us, but I couldn't even wake the kid. He was sleeping like a rock!

Anyway, here we are at day 3 of Typhoon Muifa. We have read every magazine we own, watched tons of movies, ate all our typhood, cleaned every square inch of the house and we are now starting to get cabin fever.

I know I am whining, but in all honesty, it has been nice to have to stay indoors. We have had good quality family time without things like needing to run to the commissary or bx getting in the way. We have spent hours talking and playing with our boy, and it can't get any better than that.

Thank you to those who called or emailed us to check in to make sure we are safe. It really means a lot to us. I know those who have lived here in Okinawa know that typhoons are nothing to be afraid of so no need to check in on us. You know how they play out :) I saw that this hurricane is making the news back in the states! Pretty crazy!

I am going to go sit on my butt and watch the rain with a huge huge huge bowl of coffee!

Toodaloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment