Last Sunday was not a good day for baby Liam. I decided, after a few weeks of waiting, to try rice cereal again. I mixed it up with a lot of breast milk so it was watery and he still hated it!
Every time he would see me scoop up another bite on the spoon he would cringe and try to roll out of his chair to escape the nasty food. I don't blame him, Kyle and I tried it and it tastes like poo.
Anyway, I continued to feed it to him in hopes that he would wave his white flag and surrender and just eat it, not knowing that later on I would be regretting my decision.
A few hours later, Kyle and I were on our way to the commissary to get groceries for the week. We were about a block away from the commissary when we heard choking noises coming from the back seat. Kyle shouted, " stop the car!" and I slammed on my breaks in the middle of the lane and threw on my hazard lights. I have never seen Kyle move so fast. He ran to the back seat and got Liam out of his car seat within seconds and flipped him over and started patting his back.
He was choking on his throw up.
Cars were pulling over asking if we needed help. It was crazy. We got back in the car and went to the store parking lot. Liam seemed fine, like nothing had happened so we headed into the store. Then he started making the choking noise again in the stroller so I got him out and patted his back again and he covered me in puke. I told Kyle we needed to leave, and Liam continued to puke whatever he had left in his little belly all over my chest, I was soaked. He got so lethargic from throwing up, that he just held his head on my chest the whole walk to the car, which he NEVER does.
We got to the car and he just kept dry heaving over and over again. He was getting so sweaty, and was simply miserable. He fell asleep on me when we got home, and woke up feeling much better. He was eating fine, and acted like nothing had happened. I was seconds away from taking him to the ER, but I know military doctors, and I know they would probably just say, " It's a virus," and hook him to an IV. I knew in my gut, and my mommy instincts told me everything was ok, and it was just the rice cereal. His little tummy is just not ready to digest solid foods. I'm going to continue to hold off for another couple weeks. I may even just skip the rice cereal and go straight to fruits and veggies.
He has a pediatrician appointment tomorrow so I will talk to his doc and see what she thinks.
That was the first time he acted sick, and it was scary! I know I have many many more of those ahead of me.
It sucks seeing your baby so miserable and I can't help but feel bad for "forcing" him to eat the cereal when he clearly was not ready.

No comments:
Post a Comment