Tuesday, July 27, 2010

2 Month Shots


Yesterday was one of the milestones I had been trying to avoid. I was really dreading having to take him to get his shots done. I think a lot of it was because I personally don't enjoy getting shots (well, who does anyway?...) so I was nervous for him I suppose.

We got to immunizations and the lady went over what each vaccine was for, and then proceeded to tell us that none of the shots are mandatory, and we can decline all of them if we want. I have to admit, I tossed the idea around for a few. After all, Liam will never have to be in daycare or around other snotty kids, so the risk can't be too high...Then I heard some of the points she was making to Kyle, and decided it was probably smarter to get him vaccinated, than to not.

For instance, we were going to hold off on getting him the Hepatitis B vaccine until he started school. The lady reminded me that Hep B is spread through bodily fluids and that all it would take is him to slobber on a shopping cart handle that could be contaminated, and there ya go, he would have Hep B. It just seemed like the smarter thing to do to get him vaccinated, so we did...

Liam got one shot in each chubby thigh, and then he got some kind of oral flu vaccine. I guess it just tasted like sugar water. He took that with out a fuss. The shots were very fast. I was able to hold Liam, and before I could even see what she was doing, she jabbed his left thigh. I was holding the pacifier in his mouth the whole time hoping that would help, but it sure didn't. Liam tensed up, turned bright red, and started screaming....he was only halfway done, one more thigh to go...

He screamed for about a minute, stopped for awhile, and then it was like he remembered what had just happened and he started screaming again. I was fighting back my own tears. I hate seeing my little boy hurt, especially what he had to go through at the hospital. Plus side is he got 2 totally awesome Daffy Duck band-aids out of the awful experience! Afterwards I carried him out to the car and he was just really lethargic the rest of the evening.

Then 7pm hit and his whole world was turned upside down...

Liam screamed/cried for an hour straight. We tried every trick we knew to calm him, and nothing was working. He started to run a slight temp of 99.5. It was 8pm and I was nervous he would run a temp while he slept, especially since he had a temp in the hospital, so we decided to give him half a dose of baby Tylenol.

I nursed him and rocked him and eventually he passed out. I set my alarm on my phone for every 2 hours throughout the night so I could check on him and check his temperature. I was just worried about his temp since his seem to come out of nowhere as it is. (They never figured out what his 100.4 temp was caused from while we were in the hospital.)

He slept well all night, he was up eating more frequent than usual however. Today he's just tired and groggy. He's super clingy and just wants to be snuggled all day. Looks like it is going to be a movie day! It's ok, the weather is too crappy to go outside. It is pouring and thundering/lightening.
Yay for tropical island storms!

No comments:

Post a Comment